Monday, June 8, 2009

Manly market


Yesterday I did my first market, at the Manly Arts and Crafts market. I got the a stall offered spontaneously at the start of the week and spent all week frantically making candles, trying to organise paper bags, making price tags etc.

The market wasn't the biggest success in terms of selling but lots of people passed through, admired my candles and picked up business cards. I did cause an unexpected reaction in two elderly Ladies who were shrieking in shock when they spotted my candles "Oh, this is terrible! You have ruined these nice cups! I would NEVER do that to my Royal Doultons!"

Not that I am selling anything from Royal Doulton anyway, certainly a very strange and very passionate response to my products ;-)

I am looking for a market that features purely handmade products, or at least with the focus on handmade. A lot of markets in Sydney seem to be more general and allow handmade and pre-manufactured products alike. I have heard about the Kirribilli market and am going to check it out next weekend. It sounds pretty good.

4 comments:

avdg said...

Hello! I've just started making teacup candles recently so am enjoying your blog. You have some gorgeous cups! Melbourne has so many makers markets, but I'm not quite up to standard yet! Love the pic of your shelf full of cups, look forward to more updates....

muchlove said...

Your display looks gorgeous! Sounds like a good start :D
How rude of those ladies to say that! Tsk tsk...

Hope you find some good markets soon, I'll let you know if I hear anything. Will email you :)

x

lyptis said...

Well, congrats on the market!

Those old ladies sound funny! 'How cud u..?!'
he he..
Hope u had fun!

Rose said...

Hi! I just found your blog today, from frankie's blog. I make candles as well. I did my first craft market recently, and had a similar experience – lots of comments and people taking my cards, but only a few sales.