Friday, June 19, 2009

A step back, and two steps forward..a new Etsy shop!

Lately I have been thinking about where I want to move to with my business. I do love making the tea cup candles and I'm not planning to give that up. But they are a product that I can't really promote outside of Australia as they are expensive to ship overseas, they usually are one of a kind, and it is a bit of a game of luck to find new tea-cup supplies when I need them. I have also been wanting to do something else which is more creative for a while.

Now I have been playing around with felt for the last few months and I love working with it! I have been focusing on making mobiles, and I have been trying a lot of different techniques, designs etc. Even though I still like the idea of mobiles, I didnt really seem to get anywhere with that either. The last bits just weren't falling into place, no matter what I tried, if ya know what I mean.

Now I have decided to take a step back, leave the mobiles for now and try something different. I came across the idea of combining felt and lace, and suddenly there was a whole new world, what an epiphany! Hehe:-)

I made some nice little butterflies, still with the idea of turning them into mobiles. Once the first one was done I just knew they had to be brooches. I have never planned to go into accessories or jewellery but it looks like that's where I'm heading to at the moment. I think I'll see where the working with felt takes me to. It seems to have a bit of a mind on it's own.. I have all these ideas for brooches, hairclips, chokers, oh Dear! Here are some of my first attempts of the felt and lace mix.





And while I have really started to design new pieces this time I have also decided to open another Etsy shop for my felt design.

After lots of brainstorming with Luke I have decided on a name. Aaahh, the most difficult thing! How would I ever decide on a name for a child, it takes me ages to decide on a brand name!

I wanted something a bit playful, and very beautiful. Something that goes with TwilightSpells, as that will still be my main business name. Something that sounds like the ocean and the beach, like a big garden full of tropical flowers, like a place full of magic, a bit mysterious and exciting.

Gee, I don't think the easy way, do I!!?? For a while "Twilight Sailing" was my favourite. But can you imagine how many companies out there offer sailing trips in twilight?!? Far too many, and I am not having my business name confused with a bunch of middle aged upper-class people in stripey clothes!

But, I did decide in the end *drum roll please* my new Etsy shop will be called FarAwayTales

There is nothing in the shop yet, I might get round to writing the Shop Announcement tonight.

How do you like my new name? I hope you aren't disappointed after all my huffing and puffing over what the name shall incorporate:-)

Here another brooch with a red butterfly that I made this afternoon. You have to excuse the bad quality of the photo. By the time this one was finished daylight had almost disappeared


Thanks for bearing with me through this long post, I hope I haven't bored you;-)

4 comments:

Rabbit and the Duck said...

Congrats on opening your second shop! I can't wait to see it fully stocked : )

lyptis said...

Yo Alter, was geht?!;)

Just saw ur new shop, man something happening in little twilight world here!;)
So ure moving around, trying things out, i guess thats good!
I wanna see u putting some stuff in ur new shop.

Btw, i met ur/our blog friend Shannon in real life at the design market last sunday. Funny, she didnt even recognise me!;P Not that i wud have, if somebody wudnt have told me!

Hope ure well and stuff!
And Thanks on the Congrats on my sales, its always nice to get support and stuff! And, yes i am sewing my ass off atm!:)

Kellie Collis said...

Such a fabulous place Esty is! Beautiful designs.

muchlove said...

I really like the brooch! It looks so sweet and delicate.

Congrats on your 2nd baby, I mean, Etsy shop :p Looking forward to seeing it stocked.